Study to Evaluate Trailer Owners’ Adoption of Intelligence Products and Services
Arlington, Virginia – Today, the American Trucking Associations’ Technology & Maintenance Council announced its decision to underwrite a new research effort aimed at evaluating trailer owners’ adoption of intelligence products and services that are becoming increasingly available throughout the industry.
The eSMARTT Trailer Survey is an in-depth study of the trailer rental and leasing market, focusing on:
- currently deployed intelligent trailer products and brand preferences,
- future plans for additional product offerings,
- rental/lease customer feedback and guidance, and
- rental/leasing company views on
- retrofitting existing trailers,
- powering intelligence systems in an untethered status,
- tractor/trailer connectivity issues,
- matching rapidly changing technology with 20-plus year assets, and
- calculating return on investment on their technology purchases.
“By examining data and opinions across the major trucking and trailer-owning segments, eSMARTT will help the industry chart a faster, more efficient transition to the fully integrated intelligent trailer of the future, enhancing safety, maintainability and readiness for the North American trucking industry,” said TMC Executive Director Robert Braswell.
The eSMARTT Trailer Survey of rental/lease companies will be launched in January 2021 and conclude with a summary report to be presented at TMC’s 2021 Annual Meeting & Transportation Technology Exhibition, scheduled for April 12-15 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando. Further detailed and customized reports will be made available to interested parties through TMC.
TMC is planning on similar surveys examining other segments of the industry including truckload and specialized carriers, LTL companies, private fleets and full-service truck lessors in the future.