The principal goal of the American Trucking Associations’ Super Van Operator contest is to recognize and honor exemplary drivers and owner-operators in each of four categories who provide safe, reliable, and customer-oriented truck transportation in service to the nation’s household goods carriers.
Several finalists will be chosen from among all nominations received. From the finalists, and based on qualified applications received, a winner will be chosen in each of the four Super Van Operator categories for a total of four (4) Super Van Operator winners. These winners will be acknowledged and rewarded as outstanding drivers or independent contractors based on several criteria, including but not limited to the individual’s ability to run a successful business, operate in a safe manner over public highways and enhance the public image of the household goods moving and storage industry.
Eligibility Requirements — Please Read Carefully
This contest is open to any single driver, independent contractor, or team of drivers who own and/or operate, as a full-time occupation, a power unit used in a three-axle or more tractor- trailer combination, or a straight truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 lbs. or more, operates 25,000 miles or more in a year, hauls 30 shipments or more in a year, who drives for or is contracted to: a local moving and storage company; an independent household goods carrier; a national van line; or an agent of a national van line; which van line, carrier, agent, or local company is a current member in good standing of the American Trucking Associations (“ATA”). A driver-nominee must hold a current and valid commercial driver license. Carriers or agents must have been ATA members on January 1 of the previous year, and must have maintained, and must agree to maintain, their membership in ATA continuously through August 31 of this year. There are four categories of Super Van Operator award winners: Household Goods, Special Commodities, Rookie of the Year, and Lifetime Achievement.
• Except as provided below, contest entrants must have at least five years’ experience operating Class 6, 7, or 8 commercial motor vehicles as a full-time occupation, the most recent three years of which must be spent driving for a household goods carrier
• Nominees for the Super Van Operator — Lifetime Achievement award must possess a minimum of twenty (20) years of experience operating commercial motor vehicles interstate , the most recent 5 years of which must be driving for a household goods carrier
• Nominees for the Super Van Operator — Special Commodities award must currently be transporting special commodities as her or his primary duty; and have transported special commodities as her or his primary duty during the past five years. “Primary” is defined as more than fifty (50) percent, measured either in time or in mileage. “Special commodities” is defined as computer or tradeshow exhibits, furniture, temperature-controlled freight, artwork, loads requiring special handling, automobiles, or other commodities usually and customarily transported by a household goods carrier other than personal household belongings
• Nominees for the Super Van Operator — Rookie of the Year award may waive the five-year driving experience requirement prescribed in Paragraph 2 above, but must have at least two
(2) years of service in the household goods industry as an operator of commercial motor vehicles for which a Class A or B license is required, and no more than five (5) years of experience as an operator of commercial motor vehicles
• Contest entrants cannot enter the contest themselves; they must be nominated by (a) the motor carrier for which she/he/they currently drive; (b) the agent for which he/she/they currently drive; or (c) a destination agent for whom the contest entrant has delivered a load in the prior twelve (12) months
• Winners are not eligible to re-enter the contest for a period of one (1) year from the date of receipt of their previous award, regardless of which of the ATA awards (e.g., special commodities; rookie of the year) they may have won. Lifetime Achievement award winners are not eligible to re-enter the Super Van Operator contest
• One nominee may be submitted by each ATA member van line, van line agent or independent carrier per award category
Contest Rules — Please Read Carefully
• All eligibility criteria are subject to verification
• The Super Van Operator Award Nomination form must be completed by all contest entrants in order to qualify. In addition, finalists may, if they choose, submit an essay of no more than 500 words in length explaining why the finalist should be chosen as a winner. Submission of an essay is optional but encouraged
• Applications must be complete. Incomplete or unreadable applications will be returned and not further considered for the contest